Monday, September 8, 2008

Sunday in Mexico City

Yesterday we had a great day even though it was raining almost constantly. Apparently it rains a little every day in Mexico City...something I didn't know and wasn't prepared for. In fact it's raining right now again. We went to pick up our mobile phone from Julie, our landlady who also told us to check out the Sunday market and art in the park event not very far, just down the street.

Well, the market is truly incredible...although we didn't buy anything you can find just about everything you might be looking for and more. I have seen vegetables I've seen before but also good old fresh green peas familiar from home, cauliflower, all sorts of beans, rice, cut and mixed vegetables and a million different kinds of fruit, many of which I couldn't recognize. Apparently, it's the season of mango now so I'll be buying a lot of those in the next few weeks. The Art in the Park event was nearby - you all would have loved it. It is practically an opportunity for any painter or sculptor to put his pieces out for show and sale in a park. The whole small park was full of different artists and their paintings from the most cheesy and tacky to very modern and interesting stuff. And people walk around, have discussions with the artists, and also buy pieces...

After this, we took a Metrobus (which is a big bus that goes fast on its own lane and doesn't have many stops) to meet our friend Pablo and his family for lunch. It was a great introduction to exquisite Mexican/Spanish cuisine. I can't enumerate the many different appetizers, dishes and drinks we tried. It's important to know that Mexico City does have very good seafood and fish dishes. I also tasted a good tequila and for dessert I had the most amazing fresh figs with cream. Pablo and his family are just the nicest people on earth, I think we'll enjoy meeting people here.

After lunch we decided to check out Condesa, the trendy Williamsburg-like part of town, which was a little disappointing maybe because of the rain maybe because of the prices...We'll have to go back and explore more on a better day.

I'm reading a great book that we got from James' sister, Katie about Mexico City, the title is "First Stop in the New World: Mexico City the Capital of the 21st Century" by David Lida. I swear to God ever word that I read was absolutely truthful to my experience so far, except he adds his historical, economic and cultural explanation to the facts.

Well, so far so good, we are a little homesick too, to be honest, and a little lonely missing all of you!
Love
Lilla

3 comments:

Jesus Chairez said...

When I read your comment about David Lida's book, First Stop in the New World, I had to write and say I most enjoyed the book too - GREAT. He also has a great website to stay informed about life in Mexico City: http://davidlida.com

I just moved Mexico City on May 18, 2008 and I love it here, Chaos and all.

Katie said...

James and Lilla,
I'm so glad that you arrived safely and are enjoying your new apartment. Please post pictures of the market and historical sites that you visit. We miss you!

Lilla and James said...

I'm glad you are reading us Jesus, and that you agree with me on the book's value for a newcomer. And thanks for the website!