Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Indepence Day

The last three days we have spent celebrating the most important national holiday of Mexico: the day of its Independence! In fact the real thing is today, and even now I can hear the crowd outside on Paseo de la Reforma passing and chanting.

We were invited yesterday to a celebration party by Julie's friend, Alfredo. It is incredible, but he also lives in walking distance from us (so does Julie and her boyfriend, Jonathan). Living in this part of Mexico City corresponds to a combination of the Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Lower East Side and Lower West Side...Anyways the party was good, we were the youngest but everyone was so nice. There was a lot to eat and drink, but it was potlock, everyone brought something. I made my famous layered cauliflower, but I have to admit I was nervous, firstly because they like to put their food in tacos (I didn't know how well it would go with tacos) and secondly because I was up against soooo many delicious Mexican dishes! Luckily it turned out pretty well and everyone liked it.

At 11:00PM watched the president's short talk on TV (he repeats the same few chanting sentences every year - very ritualistic), after deciding against going down to the main center Zocalo where hundreds of thousands of people were celebrating. But I'm glad we didn't go cause 1. it was raining again, 2. there were way too many people, 3. it only lasted 5 minutes literally, 4. we had a great view for the fireworks. The TV didn't show Lopez Obrador's talk of course which was competing with the presidents'...

On Sunday we also went to Centro Historico and saw an amazing exhibition, I'll write about that next time.

No comments: