Wednesday, September 10, 2008

quick impressions

The last few days were a little more monotonous than before, I guess we are waiting for the weekend to do new stuff. James started to go to the archives (hopefully he'll tell you more about it) and I started working on my job applications...So just a few quick thoughts now about the last two days.
1.I decided that I will consider knowing this city when I figure out its bus system. The Metro and Metrobus are fairly straightforward (did I say how cheap they are? 20 cents a ride for the Metro, 45 cents for the Metrobus), but the buses are the most confusing and chaotic I have ever seen. First of all, they are not numbered - they only state their first and final stations (but where they route is in between is a mystery). Secondly, they only have two official stops (the first and the last), in between they stop by the sidewalk wherever and whenever anybody hails them (usually on street corners), but only for a second before they move on quickly. Thirdly, they are tiny and usually travel with their doors open. And lastly, there is no universal fee on them, it depends on both the line you take and the distance you are going (it can vary from 3 pesos to 7 pesos - 30 to 70 cents... luckily the conversion is easy between dollar and peso). Now, what do you think? We'll venture down to Condesa this weekend by bus, that's the most convenient way to get there apparently...
2. Besides being notoriously dangerous to hail just any taxi on the street (although they are super cheap which would make them a great and a quick form of transportation), taxi drivers apparently often "forget" to turn on their meters and most of the time they don't know how to get where you want to get. So simply giving them the address is not enough, it's best if you know exactly how to get there... Otherwise they often just keep asking each other and driving you around.
3.  Yesterday I went to our nearby market with Julie and now that I also bought stuff there my heart is even happier. I spent about 30 dollars (300 pesos) and could not carry the stuff home by hand (hence the first taxi experience) - just a short list: mangoes, a delicious fruit called mamey, avocado (not the cheapest btw), potatoes, reddish, cauliflower, peas, chicken, onions, beans, rice, parsley, cheese (3 kinds, James' favorite is the one with chili pepper in it)... everything fresh, cheap and delicious. They don't negotiate like I expected, but they also don't try to scam you for being a foreigner, which is nice. And they have flowers and plants that I've never seen for one 10th of the price in New York. We'll have fresh flowers in the house all the time now, it's a different feeling. I hope James will come with me next week and take some pictures...

Well, we have big plans for this weekend, it's Independence Day and we'll visit some places. We' want to take more pictures and James promised to put them online so you all can see (if he doesn't don't hesitate to send "encouraging" emails:-)




No comments: